[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Yurii Rashkovskii yrashk@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 09:10:24 CEST 2012

Rapsey,

Couldn't agree more. There are so many other more important issues that
could have been addressed by the OTP team and contributors.

By the way, we just go this (lower and upper) implemented in Elixir, but it
could be very well separated out of Elixir to be used by plain Erlang
developers: http://coderwall.com/p/pehkba

It compiles the necessary part of the unicode database right into the beam
file, making it fairly efficient. Also, pending merge, I have a patch that
makes upcase and downcase work with graphemes as opposed to codepoints
(https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/566), which we hopefully will
merge in shortly.

Yurii.