[erlang-questions] Erlang IDE

Greg Martin greg@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 00:53:39 CEST 2012

On 12-10-21 02:27 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Greg Martin <greg@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>> It would seem to me that there is much in erlang that would lend
>> itself to a
>> very extensible IDE and yet there doesn't seem to be such a beast. I'm
>> curious if anyone has any thoughts on why this hasn't been done. I
>> understand that many folks like emacs and there is some integration
>> with it
>> but it seems that something better could be done ...
> Hi,
>
> Do you mean "an erlang ide written in erlang"? I had this vision too
> for some years ago. The problem that I stumbled upon is that the
> actual editing functionality and all the UI related to that are a huge
> project in themselves. So getting to a level where one would start to
> look at how to support erlang would take along time. That's why I
> preferred to lean on an existing framework (eclipse, see plug below
> ;-))
> Otherwise, there's also erlide [plug] and there's nice support in
> sublime text too.
>
> There's also another track: provide erlang services for handling
> source code (cross-references and such), wrap them in a nice API and
> let emacs/eclipse/etc use them. I dropped this because we had
> stability issues, but it might just be something lacking in my skills
> and someone else could succeed better.
>
> regards,
> Vlad

I've never really embraced emacs, preferring vi in the past. Right now I
use komodo which is an excellent editor and I do take your point on the
effort required to produce such a beast. Having "live" hooks in a
running installation, though, could certainly provide a lot of great
functionality. Well, maybe someday. Meanwhile it's a screen full of
terminals I guess!

Still ... when an IDE and language are integrated the write and compile,
save and backup to repository cycles become much more transparent. Just
day dreaming out loud.