[erlang-questions] Erlang IDE

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Oct 21 23:27:44 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Greg Martin <greg@REDACTED> wrote:
> It would seem to me that there is much in erlang that would lend itself to a
> very extensible IDE and yet there doesn't seem to be such a beast. I'm
> curious if anyone has any thoughts on why this hasn't been done. I
> understand that many folks like emacs and there is some integration with it
> but it seems that something better could be done ...

Hi,

Do you mean "an erlang ide written in erlang"? I had this vision too
for some years ago. The problem that I stumbled upon is that the
actual editing functionality and all the UI related to that are a huge
project in themselves. So getting to a level where one would start to
look at how to support erlang would take along time. That's why I
preferred to lean on an existing framework (eclipse, see plug below
;-))

Otherwise, there's also erlide [plug] and there's nice support in
sublime text too.

There's also another track: provide erlang services for handling
source code (cross-references and such), wrap them in a nice API and
let emacs/eclipse/etc use them. I dropped this because we had
stability issues, but it might just be something lacking in my skills
and someone else could succeed better.

regards,
Vlad