[erlang-questions] Why Erlang? GDC Online 2012

Henning Diedrich hd2010@REDACTED
Fri Oct 19 20:27:39 CEST 2012

Richard!

On Oct 15, 2012, at 12:38 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

>> On Saturday, October 13, 2012, Henning Diedrich wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> the slides of my talk at the last GDC Online in Austin, last Wednesday, are up at
>>
>> http://www.slideshare.net/eonblast/why-erlang-gdc-online-2012
>
> Nice.

Thank you, it means a lot to me.

>  It's ConWAY's Game of Life, not ConWELL's.

Just when I tried to be clever.

> How did you get the 3d figurines?  Slide 79 was quite impressive.

You are referring to Laokoon & Sons, is that a brilliant interpretation?

The figurines are from CanStockPhoto, mostly from author AnatolyM as it seems:

http://www.canstockphoto.com/AnatolyM/

or found using the keywords "3d small people"

When purchased in bulk (buying credit points) the effective price can be as low as around a dollar a piece.

It can take some time browsing the stock but turns out very rewarding.

> Slide 96: "Start on capitals" should be "Start WITH capitals",
> "Statements end on" should be "Statements end WITH", and
> "short variables names" should be "short variable names".
> Slide 130, "wheter" should be "whether".
> Slide 134: "Stackless [Python] has a GIL" -- what's a GIL?
> Slide 150: "tupels" should be "tuples".

The eye for the detail is much appreciated, thanks again, I corrected and updated the slides.

New personal fav quote: "What's* a GIL?"

Best,
Henning

*as in: "this /can't/ possibly be true, can it?"