[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Fri Oct 19 16:04:04 CEST 2012

I'm glad *someone* reads my (infrequently updated) blog! :)

Ironically, now that I'm looking into whether or not larger projects (like RabbitMQ) can be transitioned to rebar, I'm leaning back towards project local dependency management *precisely because* of the need to tweak version numbers and tags and the like. For example, Rabbit has many numerous components and when working on a feature you might create branches in several projects that need to be tracked in synch with one another. Whilst rebar *doesn't* do that out of the box, adding the functionality is going to be a lot simpler if the dependencies and their config files are bootstrapped locally rather than trying to use $HOME/.rebar_deps or whatever.