[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Fri Oct 19 14:34:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Ondřej Černoš <cernoso@REDACTED> wrote:
> If rebar does everything maven does, then why this thread even exists?
>
> ondrej
>
> ps. Could we please stop bashing Java and XML and discuss on topic?

Ok. Max told that maven is a wonderful tool that can do many things
and we've found that rebar already can do everything that maven can
do, but much better because a man can edit rebar.config.

This thread have appeared due to specific approach of managing
dependencies that rebar brings.
It implies that you dependency control is glued together with source
control and all program dependencies are isolated together inside your
deploy.

It is good for deploying your software on your servers, but it is not
convenient when you are a admin of PHP server that wants to install
ejabberd.

These are different clauses and if you want to make a package for any
modern distributive you will have to make a serious preparation of
your source code, that will can even make it incompatible with further
development.

This is why sometimes source for debian package is generated from current tree.