[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 00:39:56 CEST 2012

On 10/16/2012 11:30 AM, Michael Truog wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 06:51 AM, Patrik Nyblom wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> The OTP Technical board decisions from last Thursday are now published on the erlang.org website, which means that the answers to some questions about changes in R16 are finally officially answered.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> /Patrik
>>
> Very cool!  These changes should help developers avoid problems during development.
>
> Could you please consider making UDP multicast support official, so it is no-longer undocumented/unsupported?

My mistake, now UDP multicast is documented, so the support must be supported/ok now.  The only other thing that seems to be a nagging problem is the fact many people use prim_inet:async_accept/2 directly, which is undocumented (e.g., http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5446012/erlang-accept-incoming-tcp-connections-dynamically).  It would help make development simpler if there was a documented inet function call for this.

The drama with the Pmods seems unwarranted, since it was experimental.  I agree that it would be best to take it out completely, so if tuple calling will work in R16, just deprecate it in R17:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery