[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Oct 17 09:11:35 CEST 2012

> On 17/10/2012, at 2:51 AM, Patrik Nyblom wrote:
>>
>> The OTP Technical board decisions from last Thursday are now published on the erlang.org website, which means that the answers to some questions about changes in R16 are finally officially answered.

Great initiative to publish these decisions and explain them!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> "Variable names will continue to be limited to Latin characters."
>
>         I hope that means "for this release."

That's an interesting problem. Variable names are defined as starting
with an upper case letter, but the only scripts that I know of that
have those are roman, greek, cyrillic and armenian. So would variables
with names in other scripts be forced to start with an uppercase latin
letter? We might just as well have them start with '§' or something,
and drop the capitalization rule.

My guess is that atoms will be allowed to contain unicode just so that
atom_to_list and list_to_atom can still be used, but usage of such
atoms in source code will be discouraged because these will have to be
written as quoted.

best regards,
Vlad