[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Tue Oct 16 16:25:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Patrik Nyblom wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > The OTP Technical board decisions from last Thursday are
> > now published on the erlang.org website, which means that
> > the answers to some questions about changes in R16 are
> > finally officially answered.
>
> I am not certain how to interpret the following:
> "The default file encoding will be ISO-Latin-1 in R16,
> but will be changed to UTF-8 in R17.
>
> Source code will need no change in R16, but adding a
> comment denoting ISO-Latin-1 encoding will ensure that
> the code can be compiled with the R17 compiler."
>
> Will we have to add an encoding comment for unmodified
> source code in R17 (that is pure 7-bit ASCII)?

7-bit ASCII is valid UTF-8 and therefore will need no encoding comment.

If you have Latin-1 (8-bit ASCII) source code with codes > 255 it is safest to
add an encoding comment.