[erlang-questions] binary, ets and memory...

Chris Hicks silent_vendetta@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 21:27:03 CEST 2012

I could be wrong but I'm going to take a guess and say that in the first implementation the whole binary is being kept around and never destroyed. I think what's happening is you are getting a reference to part of a larger binary and passing that around, but the larger binary is sticking around since part of it is still being used. Copying the part you need, and thus creating an entirely new binary, is probably allowing all references to that large binary to disappear so that it can be GC'd.
That's a rather naive guess based on what I know about how binaries work. Can anyone else back that up or tell me I'm wrong?
Chris