[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Wed Oct 3 22:28:31 CEST 2012

I think, it is a problem about HTTP, not about user contributions.

HTTP is an outstanding protocol. It is not yet-another-silly-protocol
like RTMP or LDAP.
It is a basic protocol for lots of projects, starting today. For
example, Dropbox. It could use rsync 10 years ago,
but today it is using only HTTP.

And it is a very complicated protocol that includes many modern
extensions, like websockets, etc.

This is why users require implementation which is very optimized and
fresh. It is really hard to write such a basic code of HTTP server,
that will fit all users requirements for next 3 years.

To understand it better, lets try to think: why there is no SIP + RTP
implementation in OTP? Why telecom platform doesn't include main
telecom protocol? I think, it is because it is almost impossible to
write such a SIP implementation, that will fit all needs.