[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Yurii Rashkovskii yrashk@REDACTED
Wed Oct 3 10:11:08 CEST 2012

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:04:45 AM UTC-7, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

> > I couldn't disagree with that much more ... npm/Node.js is cluttered
> with
> > packages of dubious quality that are not maintained in the slightest,
> and
> > while this "Wild West" they prefer may seem exciting, I do not think it
> > bodes well for the long-term stability of projects that depend on these
> > packages.
> >

> Two ideas spring to mind immediately.
>
> First, one should definitely not make the package repository a dump. You
> want to make package rules. Does it have documentation? Does it have a test
> suite? Can the test suite be run automatically? Semantic versioning? And so
> on. Is the package experimental, does it have real world uses?
>
> Furthermore, we could definitely adopt the ideas from the
> haskell-platform: A set of well-defined and stable packages are made into a
> basis library. Packages from the dump "graduate".

I believe in giving people simple and flexible tools and let them build the
rules later on. This is basically why, after doing my work on Agner, I
recently launched EXPM (http://expm.co,
http://rashkovskii.com/2012/10/01/expm-or-meet-agner-2/) that is much
simpler and much more flexible. EXPM allows to host your own repos very
trivially, therefore allowing to build any combinations, including the one
suggested by you.

So far I am just running a "dump" index at expm.co to bootstrap this system
(after all, publishing got magnitudes easier with expm comparing to Agner),
but I can very much see how we can eventually add another repository (say,
stable.expm.co) that will only "host" graduated packages.

Yurii.