[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Oct 1 00:22:15 CEST 2012

Biased Cowboy author here. If I got the wrong idea about another project
please correct me. :)

On 09/30/2012 11:29 PM, Serge Aleynikov wrote:
> So why don't
> all the authors of those wonderful alternative libraries just patch the
> inets to extend it with something they feel missing so that we only have
> one good and documented library to use as the common denominator?

Because it's not about what's missing, but about how you use it, how it
works and what you can do with it.

You could probably classify the servers into two groups, inets+yaws
being monolithic servers with many features (that can be
ignored/stripped down, at least for yaws) and with a more traditional
configuration file based approach (unless you run yaws embedded), and
mochiweb+misultin+cowboy being in the lightweight family, being pretty
much bare bone HTTP (except mochiweb has a few extra unrelated modules
like JSON).

Note that mochiweb is in maintenance mode and misultin has been dropped
in favor of cowboy.

Cowboy itself has a focus on reduced memory use (uses binary), reduced
latency, has long-polling and Websocket support (SPDY soon), while
trying to stay close to OTP principles (long-polling/websocket
connections will be special processes in the next version allowing you
to use sys: and friends to debug your code, the handler modules are
inspired by gen_server, everything is supervised, and so on). It also
has Webmachine-inspired REST support.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy