[erlang-questions] Sending a large block of binary data from c to erlang

Richard Evans richardprideauxevans@REDACTED
Wed Nov 21 19:18:47 CET 2012

Thanks Joe. This is very helpful.

Now that I have set the packet-size as 4 bytes, this does work. I can
happily send the 2 meg binary block from erlang to c.

But there is a perplexing slow-down which I do not understand.

I am encoding the binary block like this:

encode({load_instance_from_binary, GameIndex, BinaryBlock}) ->
    Result = lists:append([[?SERVER_INSTRUCTION_LOAD_INSTANCE_FROM_BINARY |
convertToFourBytes(GameIndex)], convertToFourBytes(byte_size(BinaryBlock)),
binary:bin_to_list(BinaryBlock)]),
    Result.

convertToFourBytes(X) ->
    <<B1,B2,B3,B4>> = <<X:32>>,
    [B1,B2,B3,B4].

This converts the binary block to list format before appending it to the
rest of the list. This bin_to_list does not seem to cause any slow-down.

The slow-down seems to happen when sending the 2 meg message from erlang to
c. In this function, taken from Joe's book:

handle_call(Msg, _From, #state{port=Port}=State) ->
    EncodedMsg = encode(Msg),
    validate_message(EncodedMsg),
    Port ! {self(), {command, EncodedMsg}},
    receive
        {Port, {data, Data}} ->
            DecodedData = decode(Data)
    end,
    {reply, DecodedData, State};

I have a breakpoint on the c function that corresponds to the message.

What perplexes me is that there is a 5 minute delay between the message
being sent to the c-port (Port ! {self(), {command, EncodedMsg}}, and the
c-function actually getting called!

Any advice much appreciated.

thanks,

Richard