[erlang-questions] app for watching/monitoring other erlang nodes

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Nov 20 17:13:03 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 04:05 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>> Considering the time and risk of using off the shelf applications like
>> Nagios, I think rolling your own is a viable approach.
>

> Time? Most definitely. Risk? Please enlighten me.

The adoption of any technology entails risk, of course. Nagios is a
complex beast, lots of moving parts. If you can get by with something
simpler, you eliminate a host of potential problems.

I've spent a lot of time dealing with Nagios quality issues, and
eventually decided to never use it again. If I knew that ahead of time
I could have skipped all that. So yeah, risk.

Garrett