[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Nov 6 02:27:02 CET 2012

On 11/06/2012 01:35 AM, Steve Davis wrote:
> I have enough of a hard time with computer languages without having to know over 200 natural languages to boot.

Please, don't be ridiculous, you'll never encounter 200 different
natural languages in your life, code or not. It therefore does not
matter if people write code in a language that you can't understand.
You'll never have access to it anyway! Seen any French Erlang code yet?
No? Then look harder.

I don't see why you guys are fixated on allowing more people using their
own language through Unicode like it's something bad. Many languages can
already be used in Erlang with latin1, and they certainly are. We just
want to extend that to languages that require Unicode for writing.

Last I heard, Erlang models the real world. The world is concurrent. The
world is also multilingual. The world has many different writing
systems. Why would you want to prevent Erlang from catering to the
billions of people who don't use English?

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy