[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Sun Nov 4 23:34:30 CET 2012

On 3/11/2012, at 11:18 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> I was referring to the the (claims that) python 3 is slower than 2
> as for example here: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-August/629317.html (and whole thread)
>
> Can these problems be addressed? Of course.
> Are they directly related to this EEP? Probably not...

Certainly not.  EEP 40 is about the *lexical structure* of
Erlang *variables* and *unquoted atoms*.  This is something
that happens at compile time.  The speed of the Erlang *compiler*
will almost certainly be affected by the adoption of Unicode.
The speed of the run-time will be affected to the extent that
atom_to_list and list_to_atom will need changing to allow
Unicode characters in atom names, but that's going to happen
anyway; all EEP 40 has to say about that is which ones don't
need quotation marks