[erlang-questions] Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

OvermindDL1 overminddl1@REDACTED
Thu May 31 01:01:03 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM, james <james@REDACTED> wrote:
> I would also like to suggest that the act of writing down a design forces a
> degree of rigour that is hard to achieve otherwise.  I have several times
> thought that I had considered a design from 'every angle', only to find that
> when I *write it down*, some of the angles were imperial and some were
> metric, and some were just smoke and mirrors.
>
> When something is written down, the handwaving stops and the engineering
> starts.

I *completely* agree with this.  At my work we *have* to write down
our systems, the API's, interfaces, backend, everything, as we code
it.  It really does help to solidify how the system should work, helps
us to consider angles that we would not have considered before.  Even
if we never use the documentation again, the fact that we are forced
to write it in *detail* and keep it up to date really does have a
great boon on the quality of code.  If you do not find problems in
your code when writing documentation, then likely your documentation
is not detailed enough.