[erlang-questions] Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed May 30 10:45:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    This isn't *replacing* Erlang/OTP but *augmenting* it.
>
> (2) I've proposed a number of minor but handy extensions to Erlang
>    syntax that lack a reference implementation because I have no idea
>    what the compiler should generate for them; these could use the
>    existing BEAM.
>
> (3) There are existing things that could be compiled more efficiently.
>    I'm thinking here in particular of list comprehension.  I'm not
>    sure if the improved translation can be done with the existing
>    BEAM or if minor extensions would be needed, because the
>    undocumentation for the BEAM does not make clear any range
>    limits or other restrictions on BEAM instructions.
>
> (4) There are even bigger changes, like frames, where even estimating
>    the scope of the changes is hard because of the undocumentation.
>
> But above all you are making an assumption which I utterly reject,
> namely that documentation is a COST and ONLY a cost, that producing
> documentation provides no DIRECT benefits to the people writing the
> documentation.
>
> On the contrary,
>  - you may find defects as you document
>  - you may be able to structure the documentation so that
>   test cases can automatically be extracted
>  - you may in the very act of explaining a limitation see
>   how it can be overcome
>  - you may be able to extract parts of the implementation
>   automatically from the documentation
> and I could go on.
>
> There's a slogan I learned from a business textbook:
>  find the indispensable man and fire him!
> There was something I found unsettling: we were told in this
> thread that there wasn't any need for documentation because
> the Erlang/OTP maintainers had enough people who _knew_ this
> stuff.
>
> One of my colleagues here was managing a software project
> once; a key employee went on holiday and was murdered in a
> far country.  A former student of mine was starting up a
> new company with me as a consultant, and being a worse
> driver than he thought, drove at speed into a tree.  The
> tree survived.  One of my former colleagues, a very
> intelligent and likable guy, was cycling down a Melbourne
> street and got knocked over by a hit-and-run driver.  The
> result was head injury and someone who could dress himself
> but couldn't program if his life depended on it.  When I
> was at Quintus, the founder who wrote the compiler and was
> the only person who really understood it quit and was never
> heard from again.
>
> Fergus O'Brien supervised an MSc on "Organisational
> Forgetting" and the fact of organisational forgetting has
> haunted the fringes of my mind ever since.
>
> People die.  People get head injuries.  People quit.
> Documents get lost.  (If you ever find an architecture-
> of-the-ICL-2900 manual, I'd like to see it.)  Even if
> things _are_ written down, organisations forget _where_.
> If they aren't written down, they WILL be forgotten

Brilliant! and well argued. Thank you Richard. This last argument is
excellent brain-food.

<aside> I like the way many Erlang discussion threads turn into
meta-discussions about the underlying
problems .. great stuff </aside>

So "stuff" should be well documented precisely because one day the creator
of the stuff will get bored or die and the encompassing organisation
will collectively
forget how it works.

I've notice a lot the "some other guy knows this stuff" phenomena -
I've been chasing a particular
problem for months. I always get the "I don't know but X knows" - I
ask X and they refer to X1 etc.
But X1 does not know ... I'm running out of leads. It appears that
*nobody* knows.

Fortunately the BEAM is not yet there. I know who knows - and when I
ask them they *do* know
so I just hope the entire OTP group aren't on the same plane to an
Erlang conference in a far away
land ...

I conclude it should be documented.

The next question is "priority" ... in the real world we juggle
priorities. The case *is* made that
we should document the BEAM but is this more or less important than
implementing frames etc?
As always, a tricky question...

/Joe

> People
> Well, my colleague Andrew Trotman once had a key employee

 and ... ??