[erlang-questions] managing OS processes

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Sun May 27 11:44:58 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3@REDACTED> wrote:
> Quick look to "erlexec" code shows that's only support Linux for now (with dependency on libpcap).
> Any revival work should extend "erlexec" to all other OSes when Erlang is expected to run (ex. Windows, OSX, FreeBSD ...) and try to minimize external dependencies.
>
> +1
>
> I would be willing to help for a complete rewrite of "erlexec" (as Tim, I'm more C than a C++ guy).

Yes. In a long run improving open_port would be much better.

The questions are - how to make it cross platform? Would OTP team
accept such patches? Would OTP team accept not fully cross platform
patch?

Features which I feel are missing from oper_port:
- receiving stderr and stdout separately
- sending POSIX signals
- setting startup ENV
- setting startup working directory
- setting OS process priority