[erlang-questions] Several gen_leader questions

Vasily Sulatskov vasily@REDACTED
Fri May 18 11:34:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using gen_leader from https://github.com/abecciu/gen_leader_revival and I
want to use it with a fixed list of candidate nodes - as far as I understand
that's the easiest way.

I tried several variations of starting gen_leader but none was satisfactory.

I start it as part of a supervision tree, so all examples are taken from
gen_supervisor modules init/1 functions:

Here's what I tried so far:

init(_Args) ->
    %% The same value is used on all machines in the cluster
    Leader_nodes = ['foobar@REDACTED', 'foobar@REDACTED', 'foobar@REDACTED'],

    Home = os:getenv("HOME"),

    Gen_leader_config = {gen_leader_module, {gen_leader_module, start_link,
                               [Leader_nodes,
                                [{vardir, Home}]]},
                  permanent, 2000, worker, [gen_leader_module]},

    {ok, {{one_for_one, 10000, 1},
          [Gen_leader_config]}}.

If I do this, then nodes specified in Leader_nodes work just fine, they all
participate in elections, leaders are elected properly, they are able to do
gen_leader:leader_call() to the actual leader etc.

The problem is that on all other nodes (which are not specified in
Leader_nodes) gen_leader is not started at all. Gen_leader checks if the node
it's running on is one of "candidate nodes" or "worker nodes" and if that's not
the case - it simply doesn't start. All further attempts at
gen_leader:leader_call from that node fail.

I tried to run every node in the cluster except for "candidate nodes" as a
"worker node", so I changed supervisor to something like:

init(_Args) ->
    %% The same value is used on all machines in the cluster
    Leader_nodes = ['foobar@REDACTED', 'foobar@REDACTED', 'foobar@REDACTED'],

    Workers =
        case lists:member(node(), Leader_nodes) of
            true ->
                [];
            false ->
                [node()]
        end,

    Home = os:getenv("HOME"),

    {ok, {{one_for_one, 10000, 1},
          [{scheduler, {scheduler, start_link,
                               [Leader_nodes,
                                [{vardir, Home},
                                 {workers, Workers}]]},
            permanent, 2000, worker, [scheduler_leader]}]}}.

As far as I understand, when gen_leader runs in a worker configuration, it
doesn't participate in elections, but still keeps track of where an actual
leader is running, so gen_leader:leader_call is still possible.

This setup kind of works, but it seems that gen_leader process on "worker" nodes
constantly grows in memory usage, past several Gb at least, eventually crashing
the whole VM.

Am I running gen_leader correctly?

What is the correct way of running gen_leader with a fixed set of "candidate"
nodes and that every other node is aware of where a leader is running, so that
gen_leader:leader_call() is possible?

Which version of gen_leader is recommended to use? This one
https://github.com/abecciu/gen_leader_revival? Or maybe the version from
gproc? By the way can someone explain what's the difference between them?

And I have another, most likely unrelated, issue with gen_leader. On one
deployment, sometimes I find a cluster in a state with two leaders - most of
the nodes think that the leader is one node, but some other node thinks
that the leader is on the other node. I am not sure if the other leader is the
node that diverges from the consensus - I don't have a cluster in this state
right now to check.

It seems to happen after a gen_leader process crashes somehow (some internal
work, not related to gen_leader magic).

The other thing that I think might be important here, is that gen_leader
process in that setup can get stuck in handle_leader_call for quite some long
time. Can it cause problems with leader elections? Should gen_leader processes
not block in handle_whatever functions and always be able to handle election
callback?

Thanks in advance.

--
Vasily Sulatskov