[erlang-questions] Fwd: Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

Jonathan Coveney jcoveney@REDACTED
Tue May 8 20:52:19 CEST 2012

I think that any time you find yourself justifying not documenting things,
it's probably a mistake :) I know it'd be a lot of someone's time (I read
the pdf in dropbox and found it very helpful, and think that a document
like that that covered more of the opcodes in the context of more
complicated functions would be extremely helpful). I agree that the
External BEAM is probably the thing to focus on.

I think that more documentation around this would be good in many
respects...

1. Documenting these sorts of things frames understanding for others, which
can lead to more eyes on the implementation, which is always good
2. It'll make it easier for people to write custom VM's, which is only a
good thing for Erlang. For the JVM, for example, this is a huge benefit and
as Java the language dies, the ecosystem of budding JVM languages will no
doubt go strong
3. It'll make it easier for people to compile things to BEAM, which only
goes to show that Erlang's underbelly is general purpose and useful for
building robust, fault-tolerant software

I realize that it'd be a lot of someone's time, but I want to say that it'd
probably be a really good endeavor for the community. I think there are a
lot of smart people that aren't full time VM or language architects who
still can probably do interesting things if they have some guidance on what
is going on with BEAM.
Jon