[erlang-questions] Fwd: Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue May 8 07:35:01 CEST 2012

"(b) We learn only at the end of those 5 pages that there are
really TWO different things called BEAM:
       - the 'high level abstract instructions' generated
         by the compiler, which is pretty stable, and
       - the 'internal form' meant for execution, generated
         by the loader, which 'has changed many times'."

Then there's the recommendation I read somewhere (I believe by a HiPE
implementor) that it makes more sense to target Core Erlang. So, in a
way, there are three levels you could target, two of them plausibly
called "BEAM".

I got interested in this issue when I noticed that ECLiPSe Prolog
*used* to have working multicore parallelism, but then ... not. Wow:
one of the better constraint programming packages, and it's not
multicore. That seems like an opportunity going to waste. I also
noticed that there's a Prolog implementation in Erlang.

ECLiPSe provides a lot of power. It seems to be languishing anyway.
ECLiPSe-over-BEAM might solve a lot of problems of viability for
ECLiPSe, by reducing the workload on its maintainers while potentially
increasing its user base. And I'm sure Ericsson could find uses for
ECLiPSe in telecom network design and optimization, which (if there
were ECLiPSe-over-BEAM) could further increase Erlang's value within
the company.

Just to give one possible example.

-michael turner