[erlang-questions] Erlang and FIX protocol

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Fri May 4 02:58:56 CEST 2012

Since the time I asked that question on the mailing list, I also played
with the idea of implementing FIX in Erlang.  Pursued two approaches -
one, similar to Quickfix, that used XSLT to auto-generate the parser and
message definitions.  The end result was something nice that was able to
decode FIX logs quite nicely (similar to what this product does:
http://www.validfix.com/fix-analyzer.html).  The second approach was to
implement a simple parser in C and use Erlang just to handle the session
and application level layer of the protocol stack.  At the end this
didn't really go beyond those experiments, as I switched to working on a
forked version of Quickfix in C++.

Very likely you don't need to support a full set of FIX features and if
so, you can make some shortcuts that simplify the implementation.
Taking a look at your project, I doubt that defining those large record
tuples for messages is a good idea performance wise, since every update
of a tuple will require a copy.  a better approach would be to have a
small tuple with mandatory fields, and the rest stored in one element
holding a gb_tree or some other container.  E.g.:

%% Message type: 8
-record(executionReport, {
       orderID                                         %% Tag: 37
     , execID                                          %% Tag: 17
     , execTransType                                   %% Tag: 20
     , execType                                        %% Tag: 150
     , ordStatus                                       %% Tag: 39
     , symbol                                          %% Tag: 55
     , side                                            %% Tag: 54
     , leavesQty                                       %% Tag: 151
     , cumQty                                          %% Tag: 14
     , avgPx                                           %% Tag: 6
     , opt = []
}).