[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Evan Miller emmiller@REDACTED
Fri Mar 30 15:01:29 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Michael Turner
<michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:
> "Requiring parameters in the constructor packs much more information
> per line of code than the create-set-call convention, and so I am able
> to read it more quickly."
>
> Yes, IF you know the order of parameters and their meanings in
> advance, OR you have some way to look those up almost instantly. True
> in some cases, not in all. You can read any piece of code very fast.
> The challenge is more often in *understanding* what you're reading. If
> the name of the class/type is suggestive, e.g., Point, then
>
>    P = Point(0,1)
>
> might seem pretty obvious: x=0, y=1. But how about this?
>
>    R = Rect(a,n0,r,v)

For me "readability" has to do with having a lot of code on-screen at
once, and not the number of tokens I can pass my eyes over per second.
I find your chained constructor example to be highly readable for this
reason. But setting one attribute per line of code is not readable in
this sense.

In my own experience the argument semantics are usually obvious from
the context of well-written code. I am always forgetting the argument
order to "qsort", for instance. Is it the number of elements first or
the size of the element? But when I see

qsort(table, var_count, sizeof(varlookup_t), &compare_elements)

I know the answer instantly. Of course, if the original author has
inadvertently switched two arguments to a constructor, it will be
harder to debug. So in my mind, if you have the luxury of working with
very good code in familiar territory, "initialize everything" is the
preferable style. But if you are condemned to working with inferior
code, or code that uses unfamiliar libraries, the alternative will
prove to be more merciful.

Evan