[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Mar 29 12:15:17 CEST 2012

> It doesn't frighten me that [such programmers] _exist_,
> it frightens me that they are _programming_.

LOL.

I don't have that much against create-set-call, provided that

(1) What I get from creation is either
(1a) ... something in a consistent and usable state, or
(1b) ... something that will throw a useful exception in informative
ways if it can't (yet) be used
... and ....
(2) Expression of the "set" part is reasonably concise and clear, and
always yields a situation like (1ab) above.

But it does seem to lend itself to small-minded purism. Of which we've
had plenty. And from Microsoft, too. (Remember Hungarian Notation?)

I mean, how about this?

   P = new Point
   P.set_x(0)
   P.set_y(0)

It's just dumb to *require* doing it that way. The test for me isn't
purity, it's idiomaticity. I'm not saying Point wouldn't have setters
and getters. Just that I shouldn't be limited to those.

On the other side of the debate: I once worked in a C++ shop with an
API that required up to 22 parameters for construction of certain
objects. "It's not so bad," a long-timer tried to assure me, "You just
copy-paste a call from someone else's code then make the changes you
need ...."  I almost hit the ceiling.

-michael turner