[erlang-questions] Browser quest anyone?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Mar 28 16:02:54 CEST 2012

I had a quick peep at the internals

It's web sockets with JSON encoded messages - so the transport layer
looks pretty easy

<quote>
From:
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/03/mozilla-launches-multiplayer-browser-adventure-to-showcase-html5-gaming.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

The game's remote backend, which enables the real-time multiplayer
gameplay, was coded in JavaScript and runs on top of Node.js. The load
is balanced across multiple Node.js instances on three separate
severs. At the time this story was written, the backend was
successfully handling over 1,900 simultaneous players. The status of
the BrowserQuest backend can be monitored through the game's real-time
dashboard interface.

</quote>

(I guess this mean  650 ish players/machine)

It would be very interesting to do a drop-in replacement for the
server in erlang - measure performance and #lines of code

I'll have to see if I can get it running on my machine :-)

/Joe