[erlang-questions] Avoiding boilerplate code when using gen_server

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Mar 23 19:22:03 CET 2012

> On 22/03/2012, at 12:48 AM, Torben Hoffmann wrote:
>> The question was: why don't you use an IDL (Interface Definition
>> Language) approach instead of writing all that code that has to match
>> up in order to work?
>> <snip>
>> I have tried searching for it, but since IDL is so tightly coupled with
>> CORBA I didn't really find anything but the ic application from the
>> Erlang/OTP distribution.\
>
> There are two very different concepts here.
> (1) "An interface definition language *APPROACH*."
> (2) CORBA IDL.
>
> CORBA IDL is language independent as long as the language you are
> pretending
> to be independent of is C++ or a close relative.  It is about as bad a
> fit
> for Erlang data structures as you would expect it to be.  This is not to
> say
> that Erlang cannot handle the data structures passed through a CORBA
> interface.
> It can.  What I am saying is that CORBA doesn't handle Erlang data
> structures.

Incidentally,

I attempted an XPCOM-Erlang bridge to try and marry Erlang with the
Mozilla Framework (XPCOM is similar to MSCOM/CORBA with IDLs etc).
Eventually I realised that keeping to two sides completely separate and
doing application-specific message passing was waaaaaay easier.

- Edmond -