[erlang-questions] unicode:characters_to_list

Henning Diedrich hd2010@REDACTED
Thu Mar 22 15:32:37 CET 2012

Hi Masklinn,

no question I am getting something wrong here.

On 3/22/12 2:53 PM, Masklinn wrote:
> I don't understand why you're looking for UTF8 as the output of
> characters_to_list.

That's what the doc leads me to believe I guess.

"a list of integers representing unicode characters."

should that be understood as "formerly unicode now latin-1 characters"?

248 is not a valid unicode Bytecode. Not sure if 50104 is the right one
for the same character, but it would have to be two bytes and I would
thus expect an integer higher 256.

Or "Character code points not encoded as UTF-8"?

If 248 is meant as actual number of the letter, which it is no matter
the bitcode, then what is the right function to make a Unicode binary
again from the list entries, unicode:character_to_binary/1 ?

Thanks,
Henning