[erlang-questions] Avoiding boilerplate code when using gen_server

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Mar 21 20:21:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Torben Hoffmann
> <torben.lehoff@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was sitting with a co-worker - who is proficient in OCaml and lots of
>> other stuff and he is now learning Erlang - and then he comes up with a good
>> question on the amount of boilerplate code when implementing a gen_server.
>
> I've had the exact same conversation with coworkers -- it led to this:
>
> http://e2project.org/
>
>> From the API functions you call out to gen_server:call/2 and on top of that
>> you need to implement a handle_call/3 function clause that matches whatever
>> format you used for wrapping the incoming message.
>>
>> The question was: why don't you use an IDL (Interface Definition Language)
>> approach instead of writing all that code that has to match up in order to
>> work?
>
> Erlang has a "parse transform" feature that would let you embed such
> an "IDL" in a single module, and could generate the "boilerplate".
>
> I initially started down this road with e2, but decided against it for
> these reasons:
>
> - Erlang is already a *very* simple language - let's just use it
> - Auto generated functions are hard to document, test, etc.
> - Hiding the client-server distinction in Erlang is a terrible disservice
>
> IMO, e2 solves the problem of "too much boiler plate". It's really
> easy and requires zero magic.
>
> Here's a "gen_server" equivalent in e2:
>
> https://github.com/gar1t/e2v2/blob/master/examples/ping/src/ping_server.erl

That's nice - but one could with a little thought and a few conventions
make this even shorter. Something like:

    -module(ping_service).
    -behavior(e2_service).
    -interface([ping/0]).

    ping(_From, State) -> {reply, pong, State}.

And just let all undefined values default to sensible values.
As in your version you could use

    init() -> State to prime the state

A counter would just be:

    -module(counter).