[erlang-questions] conf. mgt. tools?

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter@REDACTED
Tue Mar 20 23:10:32 CET 2012

I've become a big Chef fan, and it doesn't hurt that they use Erlang at
Opscode ;)

It's tool knife is great if you work with Amazon or Rackspace clouds (
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Launch+Cloud+Instances+with+Knife).
One command and I can have a new VM up, configured and running. If not, its
not too bad doing it "manually",
http://erlware.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/centos6-chef-node-creation/

For deploying Erlang systems with Chef I use a similar approach to Boundary
now, https://github.com/boundary/boundary_cookbooks/tree/master/erlang. I
used to do things a bit more complicated, with package management to handle
apps and releases, but now I just publish a self contained target system to
a CDN that the Chef recipe grabs from, with whatever version it is set to
install in its data bag, and boot it up.

Tristan