[erlang-questions] How to clean up before termination...

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Mar 20 17:57:50 CET 2012

Hi Dawid,

The gen_server loop will always initiate a shutdown if it receives an {'EXIT', Parent, shutdown}. As part of this process, it calls Mod:terminate(shutdown, ModState). If it doesn't trap exits, the Erlang VM will simply terminate the process, and the EXIT signal will never reach the erlang code level. Thus, without the trap_exit flag set, there is no way the terminate/2 function can be called.

To further clarify, when the supervisor wants to terminate a child, it doesn't ask nicely; it simply calls exit(Child, shutdown).

BR,
Ulf W