[erlang-questions] downgrade / rollback a hot deployment without restarting OTP

Andy Richards andy.richards.iit@REDACTED
Tue Mar 20 11:57:20 CET 2012

Hi, thanks all! yes this resolved my issue. I did read the release handler
docs but didn't figure that downgrading would just mean reinstalling the
older version. I did have to work around a couple of gotchas, as I was
using rebar to generate my release and my .boot file was called my app.boot
not start.boot which the release handler was looking for. A sym link fixed
this. Also I didn't realease that code_change was called in my upgrade
release gem_server which allowed me to revert the State before downgrading
to the original version.

Thanks again for confirming release_handler:install_version was the way to
go.

Andy.

On Friday, 16 March 2012, Samuel Elliott <sam@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Per Melin <per.melin@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 2012, at 11:13 , Andy Richards wrote:
>>
>>> I'm struggling to find documentation on how I perform a rollback of a
>>> unsuccessful OTP hot deployment. I'm currently manually creating my
.appup
>>> file with upgrade and downgrade instructions and when I perform a
>>> release_handler:install_release("someApp") my application hot deploys
>>> successfully, excellent! What i cant figure out however is if there
were a
>>> problem following an upgrade how I downgrade / rollback to the previous
>>> release?
>>
>> It's been a long time since I last did this by hand, but if I remember
correctly you simply do release_handler:install_release("OldVer") to roll
back.