[erlang-questions] Support for newcomers and the popularity of Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Mar 19 17:38:37 CET 2012

I, for one, don't recall what your question was. I can assure you that I didn't actively choose to ignore it.

If you are part of a group doing commercial work in Erlang, you might want to contact Erlang Solutions. There, you can actually pay for the privilige of a guaranteed response, something you cannot do here. They also sell training and commercial support for Erlang - even have an office in Krakow.

http://www.erlang-solutions.com/section/13/support

As far as your question goes, a google search indicates you posted it once, 4 days ago. I'd say 4 days is a bit short before lecturing the community on their lack of responsiveness. It might be a suitable length of time before reposting the question, though. ;-)

I much prefer to have a slightly more strict setup, where you e.g. designate one or two "master" machines that keep a persistent copy of the database. The other machines can start up with the env variable: extra_db_nodes : MasterNodes, and access the database without even having their own copy.

Why does the data need to be fully replicated? Nodes starting with extra_db_nodes as above enjoy full distribution transparency. If very rapid read response is required, you can add a ram-based replica on the fly with the function mnesia:add_table_copy_type(Table, Node, CopyType).

Update cost will increase noticeably with every replica you add, so in many cases, it may be counter-productive to use full replication. For fault tolerance, having two persistent copies of the data goes a long way.

Nodes can also start with extra_db_nodes, receive a ram copy of the schema, and then change their schema to a persistent copy using mnesia:change_table_copy_type(schema, node(), disc_copies).

BR,
Ulf W