[erlang-questions] [OT] Re: GPL vs. whatever [was: Erlang UUID]

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Sat Mar 17 19:59:06 CET 2012

On 03/17/2012 07:24 PM, Jon Watte wrote:
> The problem with GPL, even for a business that releases the source, is
> that it becomes a lot harder to accept contributions from the rest of
> the world. With GPL 3, the IP provisions make that pretty much a
> non-starter for a business operating in the US business climate. Thus, a
> GPL release (or AGPL release) from a commercial entity into the world
> pretty much guarantees that it will be a one-way street, where fixes
> won't work their way back up-stream.

I really do not understand what sort of situation and/or business
climate you are describing.

Suppose I use a software X from company/organization/some developers
which was released under GPL and I find a bug in it and correct it.
What exactly is it that prevents me from sending the fixes back to the
company/organization/developers of X for possible inclusion in the next
release? Similarly if I enhance X with some additional functionality.
What does business climate have to do with sending bug reports, bug
fixes or enhancements? Why is this a one-way street as you claim?

Kostis