[erlang-questions] [ANN] Brim - HTML templating library

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Fri Mar 16 06:41:13 CET 2012

Richard, I wouldn't consider autocompletion "programming by example",
and especially not for purposes of discussion here. A successful
result from autocompletion is still only a text-paste in a GUI, once
and only once. A successful result in PBE is a step added to an
algorithm specification that you'd (at least potentially) save and
later reuse in many hands-off, unseen operations.

Keyboard macros also aren't quite it, either, though they come much
closer to the idea. Insofar as they contain parameterized
search-replace commands, they involve recognition of explicitly
described patterns (code) rather than inferring patterns and
generating the code. Also, keyboard macros can't really do iteration
(or did I miss something in their development?)

The basic idea of PBE can work in a batch environment (and indeed was
probably first applied there, if not under that rubric): here's the
input, here's the output,  give me back a best guess at a mapping
specification.

But thanks for pointing out autocompletion anyway. A non-interactive
*kind* of autocompletion might work nicely for what I suggest. A web
designer might want to include substantial amounts of text in order to
get a sense of the balance of the layout. So for the web designer, my
HTML example becomes

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad
minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

But it would be ungainly, in the code, to include that whole
greeked-text paragraph in the Erlang term for which you want to
establish a mapping. As a coder, you'd probably prefer to supply the
matching algorithm with a more concise input data structure like this:

 { <<"The Text">>, <<"Lorem ipsum ...">> }

Here it should be understood that <<"[some text] ...">> says to match on

  <sometags>Lorem ipsum *</sometags>

in the HTML template input, in effect a kind of autocompletion of the
pattern specification.

What's the point? It's to maximize results by taking complex
communication between experts down to the bare minimum. There are
people who can design gorgeous web layouts but who can't handle code
at all -- including fairly minimal CSS selectors. There are
programmers who can implement anti-gravity and controlled
thermonuclear reactions in their sleep, but whose web page layouts are
invariably, irretrievably ugly. It's like that line from that movie,
"With my looks and your brains, we could go far." PBE could help more
people go the distance, and in record time.

-michael turner