[erlang-questions] [OT] Re: GPL vs. whatever [was: Erlang UUID]

Tim McNamara paperless@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 21:02:35 CET 2012

On 16 March 2012 02:19, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@REDACTED> wrote:
> Can you elaborate?

The AGPL adds copyleft provisions for services provided via a network.
That is, if you create a service and deliver it via WWW, then you need
to make the source of your service available. The GPL has a smaller
reach.

As an example, Nimbus.io went live today. It is an Amazon S3
competitor, providing USD0.06/GB/month storage. One of its taglines i
"100% Open source hardware, client libraries and server software".
However, much (perhaps all, I haven't had a detailed look) of their
software is available via the AGPL. Any competitors who wish to
freeride on the code need to release everything.