[erlang-questions] Erlang meets physics

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Mar 13 11:34:33 CET 2012

Great news - spread the word !

Just for the record Erlang programmers numbers 1 and 2 (ie myself and
Robert Virding)
are both ex physicists.

When I lecture I often point out the similarity between causality and
message reception.
You don't know that something has happened until you get a message
telling that it has happened.

(In physics it's a ray of light, or a photon, or something -
forgetting entanglement for the moment)

In computing it's the reception of a message.

As a ex physicist I know that we can't say anything about simultaneous
events occurring
at different places in space-time - turn this into computer science
and the same arguments
apply to things like making sure replicated data is consistent on
remote sites - well you can't
- at least if you want to change it - Brewer's CAP theorem applies -
which for a physicist makes
perfect sense.

Also as an ex physicist I realize that things do actually happen in
parallel in the real world,
so modelling them in a sequential programming language (if I wanted to do that)
is big time crazy - just describe the parallel stuff in a concurrent
language and the program
writes itself. Wait a few years till we have million core computers
and the parallel problems
can be solved 1:1 on parallel computers - and programming simulations
and so on will be
really easy - but don't even think about doing it in a sequential language...

Cheers

/Joe