[erlang-questions] Erlang is the best choice for building commercial application servers

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Mon Mar 12 17:10:00 CET 2012

Edmond Begumisa wrote:
> My impression is that it boils down to marketing.
>
> .Net gained acceptance in the business world fairly quickly by *both*
> developers and managers.
>
> If Erricson were in the business of selling software (which they are
> not), and put together a group of spin doctors with a fat budget,
> things would be different.

The important part is "in the business of selling software."  The
critical business consideration, when selecting infrastructure, is the
level of continued support you can expect.  IBM is going to be around
for a while, so is Microsoft.  If you prefer vendor independence, you
can be pretty confident that C is going to be supported by someone, so
is Apache.

My sense is that the Erlang/OTP ecosystem has become pretty strong in
recent years - enough so that, if Ericsson bailed out, Erlang would
continue.  A few years back, that might not have been quite as good a
gamble.  (Comments?)