[erlang-questions] gen_sctp throughput mystery

Thu Mar 8 17:52:10 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 04:23:09PM +0100, Johannes Govaerts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I stumbled also across this issue. It turned out that you get
> this behavior when not specifying the recbuf option at the server. The
> default recbuf is only 1500 bytes. So when the client sends a package
> he waits for acknowledgment before sending a another package; and at
> the other side the server receives only one package and will only
> acknowledge when sacktimeout is triggered because he never receives a
> second package...
>
> When using a higher recbuf value there is no throughput issue anymore.
>
> Regards,
> Johannes

That is great news (that there is an explanation).

So the combination of default recbuf size of 1500 bytes in gen_sctp,
the (Linux ?) kernel default net.sctp.sack_timeout = 200 (RFC recommended),
and sending packets larger than recbuf size choaks the throughput to
1000/net.sctp.scack_timeout packets per second...

What a gotcha!