[erlang-questions] models for replicated/distributed processors

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Thu Mar 8 08:52:15 CET 2012

I spent some time trying to gather wisdom on this subject too...

In regards to fault-tolerant design with Erlang, I found Joe's paper on
the Bluetail Mail Robustifier to be worth a million dollars (probably my
favorite Erlang paper, I wish I had read it first before any Erlang books
or tutorials):

    "Increasing the reliability of email services" by Joe Armstrong.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.86.851&rep=rep1&type=pdf

The following thread on processes and fault tolerance got me some great

    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-January/055531.html

    ... especially Joe's description of take-over/error-recovery
    (the "replicated, synchronized processes" you refer to)...
    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-January/055525.html

    ... and also Ulf's description of hot/cold standby and choosing the
    right recover state:
    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-January/055519.html

Hope those help.

- Edmond -