[erlang-questions] Reading a file before it has been completely written

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Wed Mar 7 18:39:41 CET 2012

- Create and open a file with a temporary name.
-  Write the file content.
- Close the file.
- Rename the file to the name/place you want.

works ?

/Tony

On 7 mar 2012, at 18:25, David Mercer wrote:

> While this isn’t an Erlang-specific question, the problem arises from my using Richard Carlsson’s file_monitor(https://github.com/richcarl/eunit/blob/master/src/file_monitor.erl), which sends messages when a file or directory is changed.  I have found that it is not unusual to get a message about a new file before the file has been completely written.
>
> I had thought that by doing a file:open(Filepath, [read]) and making sure I got back {ok, _} rather than{error, eacces} I could avoid those cases, but that approach has failed for me: this morning, I got back {ok, _}, but the file was not completely written yet.
>
> Another approach I tried was to attempt to obtain an exclusive lock (I think it was file:open(Filepath, [read, exclusive])), but in my testing I came across the bizarre scenario where I would copy a file into the monitored directory, the file_monitor would send the message, but the Erlang process that does the file-open didn’t see it, so created the file (the documentation says it creates the file if it does not exist), and then I got a message in my window where I was copying that the file already exists, do I want to overwrite it.
>
> Another approach I tried was renaming the file to itself.  All my tests indicated that that approach would work, but all my tests also indicated that just doing the file:open(Filepath, [read]) would work, too, so I chose it, as it seemed cleaner.  I could revert to the rename approach, but I’m not even sure now that that will work.
>
> I imagine others among us have encountered this issue, and rather than reinvent the wheel, what is the favored approach to handling this issue?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David Mercer

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"