[erlang-questions] Erlang development workflow

Frank Hunleth fhunleth@REDACTED
Sun Mar 4 21:26:32 CET 2012

Hi Garrett,

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
> What are you used to in C/C++ land?

Depending on the project, I do one or more of the following:

1. Use NFS to mount a directory from my PC where I have the
executables or root filesystem
2. Build the program that I'm working on and copy the new binary over
using whatever interface is most convenient
3. Build the complete software image and burn the whole Flash

> Apart from automating the code deployment to the target, I'm not sure
> there's a lot more you can do. Erlang gives you great remote debugging
> and code reloading, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.
>
> If you wanted to keep the target Erlang VM running throughout your
> development, you could run Mochiweb's "reloader" module to watch for
> local changes to beam files and forcefully reload them. You'd still
> need to push the compiled files over -- but that could be a part of
> your make file (e.g. extend the compile target to compile and
> ftp/rsync/etc to your target device).

Thanks. I think that this is what I'm looking for.