[erlang-questions] Hot erlang Re: Frying pan bug

Hendrik Visage hvjunk@REDACTED
Fri Mar 2 16:10:47 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM, David Goehrig <dave@REDACTED> wrote:

> Would it be possible for Erlang's runtime to set a threshold, say looking at the thermal sensor on the board and error out if that "guard" is reached. You could do the same for disk I/O, network, or any other saturation condition.

I would rather prefer the OS to send a SIGimInHeat signal to the Erlang VM :)

On the serious side: I see that as a function of the OS and hardware
to throttle the CPU and processes whenever overheating situations
occur. erlang VMs should rather track the usage times of it's
processes based on simple threshold values, but isn't that getting to
the point where we have the VM baby sitting bad coders??