[erlang-questions] Leex scanners and default token matching

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Sat Jun 30 13:47:00 CEST 2012

Well the 'solution' is probably as simple as filtering them out - not quite as onerous as I'd imagined once I realised that any character that isn't single quoted falls into a pretty small range. An extra macro:

ILLEGAL = ([^\s\w=><*/])

and then an extra Rule:

{ILLEGAL}+          : {error, "Illegal Character(s): " ++ TokenChars}.

Still, it should be documented that Leex *can* produce a scanner that is non-terminating. Even though there's nothing to say that it shouldn't, whilst the Yecc documentation explains something about the implementation that helps you understand how it works (LALR-1) there is nothing in the leex docs to suggest that I should *beware* of this. Luckily I decided to randomly generate input strings using PropEr and quickly came across the issue in my implementation.

What do other think about this? Should there be a caution in the documentation explaining this potential situation?