[erlang-questions] nested variable assignment : bug or the expected behaviour ?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Jun 26 05:04:28 CEST 2012

Nice question. I'd like to know the answer myself. My guess:
committing to first-lexical-use-of-matching for variable binding in
expressions reduces opportunities to optimize the expression, since it
implies an order of evaluation that might not be optimal. This can't
(quite) be the explanation though, since Erlang is so lisplike in its
approach to the question "What's an expression?"

-michael turner