[erlang-questions] [ANN] etest and etest_http 1.0.0.beta

John-Paul Bader hukl@REDACTED
Wed Jun 13 11:29:45 CEST 2012

Hey,

at Wooga we are writing erlang backends with http api's and in the past
we've taken several approaches to test those applications properly.
There was some combination of using eunit for unit and ruby for
integration testing for example or a mixture of eunit, ct and ruby.

In one of our teams we have now written a super lightweight test
framework that makes it easier to do test-driven development with erlang
for those kind of applications.

The base framework is called etest. It includes basic assertion macros
and a test-runner. In addition to that we wrote a supplementary library
that makes testing http apis much easier. Its called etest_http and as
the name suggests, has etest as a dependency.

https://github.com/wooga/etest
https://github.com/wooga/etest_http

In my team we are using it instead of eunit/ct/ruby now and by
announcing it here I hope some of you will also take a look to provide
some feedback. It is also fairly simple to convert an eunit test case to
etest and vice versa - after all its not that different to eunit.
Somehow the tests just look cleaner, the runner is about 100 lines of
code and its more fun (at least for my team) to write tests with it.

I also made a small screencast that shows how to set up etest.

https://vimeo.com/43672318

A video demonstrating etest_http will follow shortly.

So please take a look and let me know what you think!

~ John