[erlang-questions] OTP-9649 and further changes

Yurii Rashkovskii yrashk@REDACTED
Sun Jun 10 20:48:36 CEST 2012

Björn,

I actually just did a totally unscientific test. I took the maint
branch, and ran 10,000,000 Mod:fn() calls where Mod was passed from
another function call and was just an atom. I ran it on maint, and on
my Mac Pro timer:tc clocked 446983 (that's 0.446 seconds).

After that, I brutally removed tuple call support from apply and
fixed_apply BIFs in beam_emu.c, making `if (is_not_atom(module))` go
straight to error label. I also removed `this` variable which was used
in those checks because there was no need for it anymore.

I re-ran the test, and timer:tc clocked 440680 and around.

So, the runtime cost difference was about 6000 microseconds, or 0.006
seconds, for 10 million calls. If I am not mistaking, this is a 1.35%
speedup on something as low cost as about 0.0446 microseconds per call
(or 0.0440 microseconds per call without support for tuple calls).

Is it this big of a difference to support the removal? What if we made
tuple calls a documented feature? I'd be glad to write an EEP to
support it.

You can find my test patch attached.

P.S. I also ran the same test for a tuple call (in the maint branch),
timer:tc clocked 545656 and around. So there is a penalty for using
tuple calls, but that's expectable and seems to be a reasonable
tradeoff for me.
P.P.S. Please let me know if something in this test is incorrect, I'd
be glad to improve it.