[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 13:27:42 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Anthony Ramine <n.oxyde@REDACTED> wrote:
> Editing directly from GitHub makes you unable to check that you wrote lines
> too long (under 80 columns).

The Hollerith Limit seems to be honored mainly in the breach these
days, though I still try to observe it.

> Also it produces nondescript branch names like "patch-1".

If you can get them listed with the edit summaries, maybe that's no so bad.

> Furthermore, Erlang/OTP explicitely forbid pull requests for contribution.
>
> For all these points, I would say it's not neat at all.

If they could make it work with fewer problems like these, it might be
the simplest alternative to wiki-style editing, especially since
github manages it for you. The major drawback I see in an Erlang/OTP
documentation wiki is that there *is* significant management overhead,
especially if it's hard to automate a effective access control.

-michael turner