[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 10:51:14 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 10:40 AM, Michael Turner wrote:
>>
>> And how likely is it that, someday soon, every page on the website
>> will have a link at the top saying, "See an error? Here's how to
>> help." With those instructions on how to get started?
>

> Why don't you send a patch that does exactly that?

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A DOCUMENTATION PATCH, AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO
START IN SUBMITTING DOCUMENTATION PATCHES.

If Erlang/OTP *truly* welcomes this kind of thing, why don't they
quickly write it up and post it?

What you suggest would need to be something that generates the header
(and footers?) of every page, so it's actually programming of a kind,
and for a documentation generator I don't know anything about. It
wouldn't surprise me if figuring it out would require two days of
concerted effort on my part, but only 20 minutes of concerted effort
on the part of someone at Ericsson.

Ericsson can't afford tech writers for Erlang/OTP? OK, fine, I can
understand that.

But ... Ericsson can't take 20 minutes to facilitate user input on the
documentation, in order to (partially) *substitute* for a lack of tech
writers? With the resulting solicitation going live the same day, not
in some future Erlang/OTP release?

That, I cannot understand.

-michael turner